"After taking a walk over town, we found a number of fine new buildings, some completed and others in the course of construction. One of the most notable buildings is a large two-story building. The lower is to be used for a school and the upper one for a hall. Arrangements are being made to vote bonds at an early date.
The enrollment of school children in the district is upward of 75.
The Methodist Church has the foundation laid for a large building. There are foundations laid for warehouses near the railway crossing. The Sedro Mercantile Company has moved into their new two-story building with a $10,000 stock. The Paulson Bros. is the proprietors and seems to be doing a good business.
Opposite the Burlington House on Anacortes Street is Shaugnessey's Restaurant with Thomas Shaugnessey at the helm.
Information has been received from Washington City that the Post Office will be established in a few days. The shack built by John P. Millett after the establishment of the Millett and McKay logging camp in the fall of 1882 was the first human habitation on the ground where the people of Burlington now live. It was located a little to the southwest of the junction point of the railroad today. Mr. Millett and his family lived there until late in the 1800's.
The first timber claims on the site of the City of Burlington were taken early in the year of 1883. There was little done in the way of settlement of the land during the period when timber and logging were the chief industries. Mr. McKay logged the best of timber in 1883, but he did not plot the town site until late in 1890. The first railroad train passed over the tracks in the summer of 1890 and regularly in 1891. L.L. Fox erected the first sawmill in the winter of 1890-91. Dale & Company manufactured the first shingles using a threshing machine for power. The first saloon was opened by Burton & Son in 1891 and was consumed by fire on Christmas night, 1896. The first post office was established in 1891. The first school was established May 1,1891 with Miss Clara Garl as first teacher.
Burlington is more than an artificial town site and seldom equaled as a place of permanent commercial activity being the junction point of the Seattle, Bellingham and Vancouver and Rockport, Burlington and Anacortes branches of the Great Northern system. The town is easy access for commerce from outside points and surrounded by fertile farming areas of every side; it is ideally located."